Monday, September 8, 2008

Cooking/ memories

I love to cook and try new things with being so busy this last little while I have not been able to enjoy trying new recipes. My parents and I have shared a garden this year which has been fun K'Lee loved watching the plants come up and now picking the veggies and fruit. So I have been finding recipes and ways to bottle things so that our food storage can grow. When we were planting the garden my mom had this huge plant in the corner I asked her what it was she smiled and said Rhubarb the memories it brought back from us kids picking it at grandma bensons and eating it. I loved her Strawberry Rhubarb pie with ice cream it was always a treat to eat. So I was on a quest to find a recipe. All the recipes I found took forever to make and I was having a hard time finding time to make them I found this recipe and made it. It's not the same at pie but it's still really yummy I was going to take pictures but they are all gone.
Strawberry Rhubarb Squares

Crust and Topping
1 Cup Butter or margarine softened
1 Cup packed Brown Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
2 cups of Flour
1 1/2 Cup quick cooking oats
2/3 cup chopped nuts
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
mix this together until crumbly reserve 2 cups for the top and press the remaining into a 15x10x1 inch pan

Filling
2 Cups Granulated Sugar
2/3 cups Flour
2 Tbsp milk
4 eggs
4 cups sliced strawberries (2 pints) I cut mine into 4th
4 cups sliced rhubarb (8 stalks)
mix into a large bowl I just used a whisk to stir I then fol ed in the strawberries and rhubarb spoon onto the crust and then sprinkle the reserved crumbly mixture.

bake at 375 for 40 to 50 minutes until the top is golden brown and filling is set. cool slightly and served with ice cream or whipped cream. store the rest in the refrigerator covered.
Sorry no pictures but they were yummy.

1 comment:

Tanielle said...

Sounds Yummy! Ummm... I miss Grandma Benson's pie!